Thursday, January 7, 2016

One Door closes but another one Opens

Thursday, January 7th, 2016...a day of Therapeutic Harp for some Residents I love so much.  One of my favorite Residents is failing fast and on Tuesday, during Guitar & Singing, they brought him to the group late in the Session.  I was so happy to see him, especially after being gone for a 2 week vacation.  But my happiness turned quickly into sadness, as I could see a huge decline in those 2 weeks.  Today when I entered his room with my Harp, I honestly didn't expect a response, but my heart was so happy when he opened his eyes as I played!  It was difficult for him to keep his eyes open so he dozed between tunes and when I was finished, he listened to me say goodbye and that I loved him.  When I have a day like today, I feel I am prepared for his passing...sort of?

It continued to be a cheerful day, several Residents at the Nurse's Station, all happy to have music and singing along to the ones they knew.  The Staff is always so appreciative to have me there, it takes some of the stress and worry off them, if only for a little while.

With the passing of my dear Companion, Louise, I am left with 2 afternoons free, the days I would spend with her.  My Husband is the best, he encourages me to just stay home and regroup and not worry about filling my time...buttttttttt  I can't!  So on my way home today I stopped at a Facility I used to play at a few years ago.  The management was so terrible and the payment was slow, IF and when I received it, but the Residents were a joy and I hated leaving them.  When I walked in I recognized one of the Employees and she was thrilled to see me.  As it turns out, the Management is completely new and they welcomed me with open arms.  I asked for 1 afternoon a week of Guitar and Singing Memory Recall Therapy and they offered me 1 at that location and 1 at another of their locations.  I think for now, I will stay with the facility that is closest to my home.  I do agree with my Husband, I need to regroup a little.  How true it is that when one door closes and you feel so lost, another one opens to a room full of joyful Residents.  I love my job (s)

No comments:

Post a Comment